.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Have an Eye-Opening Weekend

I came across these lovely, bizarre cubist fashion photographs by Torkil Gudnason and just had to share them...and of course, because I am a bit research-happy, I had to find some Picasso portraits and a cubist poem to complement them. The thing that is most fascinating to me about cubism is the notion that an artist can paint (or write) multiple perspectives and angles simultaneously --that somehow by representing all the many pieces of a person or thing, you can create a whole. Of course, this is impossible, but the very attempt is radical and eye-opening...and strangely beautiful.
I hope you have an eye-opening weekend!!



Cigarette papers datebook and tobacco pouch
Life
Ought to be like painting


Still And literature
A hairless head
Eyes straight
Comma
A flat nose a plane
On the forehead


My portrait
My heart beats
It's an alarm clock


In the mirror
I'm full length
My head smokes
[STILL LIFE-PORTRAIT by Paul Reverdy, c. 1920's]