.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Friday, November 7, 2008

I love you...even though I hate you sometimes [random weekend rant...]

I have come to peace with the fact that I wasn't raised in the most exciting, diverse, or cosmopolitan place on this big planet. Nonetheless, I love where I am from. I have lived in many other places, yet, here I am again --back in Oklahoma...



[Image uploaded from Cowboy Ampersand]

Since the recent elections, however, I have been feeling a sense of shame and embarrassment about my state (you know, that funny-shaped state right in the middle that lit up bright red on the map before the election results were even counted...) I don't want to feel this way about the place where I was born! But, how do I come to terms with the fact that I am living in a place that is proud to be more conservative than Utah (the land of 15 yr. old wives, bigamy, alchohol bans, and film censorship)?? ...





...how do I deal with knowing I live in a state whose senator doesn't believe global warming exists and whose congressman is trying to make birth control pills more difficult for college girls to purchase when they need them...?



I never intended to use this blog as a political platform, but, in the midst of all the happiness and celebration over our new President-elect, I can't help feeling a little sad -- feeling that despite the broader excitement, I am living among folks stuck in some sort of strange 1950's time-warp, where foreigners, women, and African Americans are always suspect... where instead of feeling hopeful and grateful, people are down on their knees praying out of fear...



...so, I wanted to try and find something beautiful about my home, despite my recent negative emotions. Because there are many beautiful things about my state...and many warm, kind, intelligent people. And I suppose that is what this blog is about -- the things I love and appreciate... even if they are small and rather personal...
[That said, hope you lovely readers will forgive my non-clothing/shopping/art-related rant!! ]

So, here are some things I love about Oklahoma...as flawed, and crazy, and old-fashioned as she may be:
1. Beautiful sunsets and wide, open horizons.
2. The livin's easy [i.e. cheap]
3. Friendly, open, talkative people.
4. Cheap vintage finds and great thrift store shopping!
5. Lots of gorgeous lakes.
6. Chicken fried steak, fried okra, fried pickles, and fried mushrooms.
7. Drive-in burger joints and drive-in movies.
8. Gorgous art deco buildings [from the oil boom of the 20's]
9. No traffic and lots of parking.
10. Distinct seasons.
And of course, my friends and family, who I love!


[Polaroids from flickr.com]