.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

The List: 20 Things to Do When You're Snowed-In and Stir Crazy

{Photo via DeZeen}
Readers, we've been attacked with a bad case of winter weather here again. There is slushy, icy yuckiness as far as the eye can see. This has me wondering how much of this I can take before moving my frozen butt to a tropical island. But, in the attempt to see the positive in this situation, I asked myself: what are some creative things to do when you're stuck inside and waiting for the first bloom of spring? Aside from the usual napping and eating, I think these activities might actually stave off wintry boredom:

1. Go through your magazines or the photos on your computer and make a fashion inspiration folder/file.
2. Update and add to your Netflix queue or Amazon book wishlist.
3. Look through your cookbooks or look online for recipes you would love to try and make a recipes-to-make list.
4. Play a drinking game. So what if it's the middle of the day?
5. Rakata. My mother learned this word from her Puerto Rican boyfriend. If you don't speak Spanish, look it up.
6. Finish a book. I have at least 7 books around here that I've started...
7. Play dress-up, then clean out your closet.
8. Organize/digitize your photos.
9. Play cards. Canasta is a favorite. And no, I'm not elderly.
10. Get busy with that label-maker. Nothing makes you feel more organized that labeling everything.
11. Download new music, or make themed playlists, such as: "Music to Rakata To," or "Music for a Snowy Day When You're Pissed Off and Stuck Inside."
12. Discover new blogs -- play "follow the blue links" and see where it leads you. I've found some of my favorite blogs this way.
13. Mani/Pedi/Facial. 'Nuff said.
14. Call an old friend. You actually have time to chat!
15. Read some poetry, and then try writing one of your own. But, don't ask people to read it -- that's just awkward.
16. E-mail 5 people you love and tell them you're thinking about them.
17. Balance your budget. Well, when are you going to do it otherwise?
18. Get out the Ouija board!
19. Listen to an audio book: a method I discovered for being lazy AND literary.
20. Sell stuff on Ebay. Make some money to put toward a one-way ticket to a tropical island.
::What are your secrets for surviving winter weather??