.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Native American Beadwork

Just because I grew up in Oklahoma (whose state motto is, "Native America"), doesn't necessarily mean I grew up loving Native American art or jewelry. My appreciation came with time and was helped along by the fact that I lived away from OK for many years -- absence definitely made my heart grow fonder in this case.

Beadwork is one of my favorite elements of Native American art, and I have been spying Native American-inspired beaded jewelry in a variety of shopping chains lately. I almost bought a beaded bracelet at Forever 21 a few weeks ago, but stopped myself because I felt guilty about the idea of buying something that was basically a "copy" of an authentic craft. Now, I'm not usually a stickler about this kind of thing, but I guess because I have grown to appreciate the artistry and heritage involved in the making of native crafts and jewelry, I realized it was better to spend a bit more money and actually support these artists, rather than shell out a few more bucks to big businesses that won't really miss the few extra dollars.

Websites like Coyote's Game, sell original, truly hand-made items from New Mexico and the Southwest and showcase the artists and artisans of these areas. Here are some beautiful examples:

These two are TOO pricey for me, but so exquisite to look at...


Navajo artist Nora Johnson made the light blue/multi diamond pattern loomwork for this belt using 14ยบ seed beads, $366.50.



Rug pattern necklace made with dark royal blue/multi seed beads, $161.50

Some more wallet-friendly options:

Navajo/Comanche bugle bead pyramid earrings, $42.25


Navajo artist Mary E. Tsosie's hoop earrings, $22.50


Navajo Friendship Bracelet, $30.75


Navajo feather/diamond pattern cuff bracelet, $52.75