.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Monday Mischief...On a Tuesday: Fashion and Film

Yesterday was spent recovering from a very fun girl's weekend in Kansas City, so I was lax in my blogging duties! OOPS!



This is going to be a somewhat random post, but I wanted to share my thoughts on something I have been contemplating lately, namely: films. I have noticed that I am extremely picky about movies. I rarely "love" a movie, and I'm often disappointed in other movies that people seem to like. I think I have certain aesthetic expectations about movies, and my "eyes" get bored very easily -- does that make sense?



The movies I most love are the ones with a strong visual statement [and an interesting story doesn't hurt]. I pay very close attention to elements like costumes, colors, sets, lighting effects, music and mood. I also really tend to dislike gritty realism -- I figure, who needs to pay to watch it when it surrounds us? I don't find the representation of people's pain and anguish entertaining. But, then again, I love films like "Kill Bill," that are criticized for being extremely violent. Maybe I feel violence is acceptable if it is glamorized and unrealistic? I guess it doesn't hurt that it is Uma Thurman kicking ass in an awesome yellow jumpsuit!!



Speaking of awesome outfits in films, why isn't there more written about fashion and film? Where are the good blogs on this topic? If anyone knows, please pass on the wisdom!



I did recently discover a new Brazilian site called "Filme + Fashion," which focuses on the relationship and interplay between film and fashion. If you don't speak Portuguese, you will have to use the translation on Google, but it is still worth checking out for updates and articles on this fascinating connection. Some films they have mentioned lately that I am dying to see include: Blonde Venus [with Marlene Dietrich], Coco Avant Chanel [about the life of Chanel], Picnic at Hanging Rock [supposedly the movie that influenced Sofia Coppola], and the new Grey Gardens film [with Drew Barrymore].



And of course, if you're a movie lover, Film Stills is an amazing site. In some ways, I almost enjoy looking at beautiful or provocative stills more than I like actually watching the movie.



What is your take on this subject, my dear readers? Are visual elements important to you when considering a film? What are some of the most beautiful or visually engaging movies you have seen? I think I need to start being more proactive about researching films I would actually be inspired by!
[By the way, the images in this post are from some of my favorites: Marie Antoinette, Blade Runner, Legend, Orlando, Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and Dogville...to name a few]