.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Style Icons: The Funny Ladies of the 70's and 80's

Who were your style influences and childhood icons, the women you admired and wanted to emulate growing up? Reminiscing about this can really tell you a lot about yourself, about what you appreciate in humanity. I started thinking about this question a few days ago, and I had a truly interesting realization: most of the women I admired and loved growing up were funny women! I think I can credit my mother with this fact -- she always told me that beyond a good heart and intelligence, a great sense of humor is one of the most essential characteristics to look for in others and cultivate in yourself.

So, looking back...far back (yes, I'm old)...I remember loving these women for their irreverence, their silliness, their quirky style, and their beautiful smiles:

Madeline Kahn: she is hysterical in Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and Clue.



Yes, Candice Bergen was a model, but she was also a favorite guest host on Saturday Night Live and she never took herself too seriously!



The ladies from the original 75-76 cast of SNL -- (from L to R): Laraine Newman, Jane Curtin, and Gilda Radner.


Adorable, frizzy Gilda Radner...


Bernadatte Peters, so gorgeous and funny in The Jerk.