.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Wet Plate Collodian Photographs


{photos by Robert Szabo}
If you've travelled anywhere in the midwest or southern United States, you have inevitably come across one of those wonderfully kitschy old-time photo booths. On a summer vacation many years ago, my sisters and I had our photos taken dressed as Southern Belles. There is just something so fun about imagining yourself as you might have been in another time, don't you think? I like to imagine I would have been a woman who lived on the fringe of society: A hooker with a heart of gold? A rogue girl-pirate who stole from the rich and gave to the poor?

Robert Szabo is a contemporary photographer that takes the idea of the old-time photo booth to the next level. He is one of the few photographers in the world who produces wet-plate collodian prints using much the same process as was used during the 1800's. There is just something so uncannily authentic about his work, partly due to his eye for historical detail and nuance. Let's face it, the vintage iPhone camera apps and the Bakamatsu Koshashin Antique Photo Generator are awesome toys, but there is just no comparison. I will officially be removing one of my items from the "101 Things to do before I Die" list and replacing it with: having my photograph taken as a dead Victorian corpse by Robert Szabo...or maybe a circus performer...or an eccentric countess. I'll need to narrow it down.

::Also, check out the amazing photos Anna over at Wildflowers:Pretty had taken by Robert!